Tuesday, January 15, 2008

My news for now...

We saw the neurosurgeon on Friday January 4th for the first time. He looked at our MRI films and brain scan images and came to the same conclusion that the other Dr's had. The swelling is pretty severe. The ventricles are over 3 times the size that they should be. At the time of the MRI there was about 10mm between her skull and the brain (in the back) which doesn't leave much room for any more growth. He feels that with the swelling being so severe that it is in her best interest to deliver early. We are talking as early as 30 weeks (4 weeks away) and probably no later than 34-36 weeks. I obviously do not want to have a baby 10 weeks early so I am hoping for as late as we can go. We will deliver at Good Sam and she should be able to stay there as long as I'm there. (at least that's what the Dr says...fingers crossed!) Then she will be transported to Phoenix Children's as long as she is stable enough. Two options, they will either place a small catheter in her head to drain fluid or draw fluid out daily with a needle to relieve pressure until she is healthy enough to have a shunt placed. Things can change since her condition is very unpredictable. We have another brain scan on friday and then see the neurosurgeon next monday to hopefully determine when we will deliver. He says they see the most growth between 25-30 weeks so this is a scary time and we are hoping that there isn't so much growth that we have to deliver before 30 weeks. At least I'm somewhat prepared to have a baby early, some people go into labor and have no idea that they will have a premie. That's it for now, hopefully I'll have some more information next week!

5 comments:

Aubry said...

I'm sorry you guys are having to deal with so much right now. I hope you can wait more toward the 34-36 weeks, too. I'll keep praying for you! Thanks for the update. I've been wondering how the appointment went.

Carol said...

Wow, Lacy...we are keeping you guys and especially baby Carly in our prayers!!! We want her here safe and healthy...good to know you have such good drs working with you.

Leslie said...

I bet its just heart breaking to hear all of that about your little girl. I will keep you guys in my thoughts and I will pray she can stay in there a bit longer than 30 weeks. Hang in there!

Miriam said...

Lacy, I'm sorry that you have to go through all of this. I hope everything will be okay once Carly is born and that she will be a perfectly happy, healthy baby soon! Thoughts and prayers with you!

Maury said...

Lacy, I am here for all of you and I will do anything for you, Thad, Cayson, and that little darling inside of you. You are in my prayers!