Fast forward 5 months. Carly is still waking up at night with what we think are headaches. We saw Dr. Moss today to discuss changes. He recommended replacing her shunt with a new anti-siphon shunt. He thinks that the catheter is becoming obstructed with choroid plexus tissue. He looked at her new CT and compared it with her MRI from March. Her ventricles have increased in size and she is now a candidate for ETV. He left us with three options; A- leaving the shunt alone and waiting for an emergency to replace it. B- placing an anti-siphon shunt. C- ETV. Let me explain what the ETV will entail for Carly. First the surgery to do the ETV. Then he will remove the tube from her stomach and attach it to a bag for her shunt to drain into. This is an exterior shunt. The only reason to leave the shunt in is to verify that the ETV worked and the CSF is draining properly. If no fluid is present, the second part of the surgery will be completed. Her shunt will then be removed completely. Let me repeat that. NO MORE SHUNT!!! But let me make one thing clear. ETV is in no way a cure for hydrocephalus. After 5-7 days in the hospital she will be good as new and living without a shunt.
How do I make this decision? I don't know what to do. Instinct says go for the ETV. Wouldn't that be great for her not to have a shunt anymore! No more worrying about infection or fevers or hitting her head. She would still have yearly MRI's but no worrying about shunt revisions or emergency surgery. But there are risks. The morbidity rate is quite low but it is there. Damage to certain soft tissues of the brain could cause hemorrhage, brain injury or memory loss. The mom in me now instinctively says "NOOOOO!" What would it do to me if something happened in surgery and all I know is "I chose this surgery. This is my fault." What would it do to me if I waited and there was an emergency with her shunt and something happened and all I know is "I was given the option to try the ETV and I chose not to." I'm in a loose/loose situation here. I don't know what the right thing to do is. I'm trying to get rid of the headaches. I'm trying to help her. I'm trying to eliminate the struggle of having a shunt all her life. I'm trying to eliminate complications. And now given the option, I don't know what to do. WHAT DO I DO!???! What would you do?
I'm nervous. I'm scared. I'm confused. I'm lost. I'm terrified. What if I choose surgery? What if something happens to her? I'm to blame. What if I don't do it? What if something happens to her? I'm to blame. Am I getting my point across? I want to fix this for her but I'm afraid. I think that EVT is the best treatment for her but I'm scared. If we do this it will be around the 1st week in October. I'm scared to loose my little girl. I'm scared that I'm going to get bad news. I'm scared to see her after surgery. I'm elated that she could be shunt free! But I'm scared.
Any thoughts?
I'm nervous. I'm scared. I'm confused. I'm lost. I'm terrified. What if I choose surgery? What if something happens to her? I'm to blame. What if I don't do it? What if something happens to her? I'm to blame. Am I getting my point across? I want to fix this for her but I'm afraid. I think that EVT is the best treatment for her but I'm scared. If we do this it will be around the 1st week in October. I'm scared to loose my little girl. I'm scared that I'm going to get bad news. I'm scared to see her after surgery. I'm elated that she could be shunt free! But I'm scared.
Any thoughts?
6 comments:
Pray about it... then you know that whatever happens is the Lord's will
I really feel for you Lacy. Before having Zaida at 30 weeks the doctor GAVE me and tyler the option to have her that day. There was no emergency to have her when I did, however; considering my history with Sienna, the emergency could have happened any minute. My body was heading in that direction. The Dr. left the decision up to us!!!! I was so torn about it because it wasn't an emergency, I was being monitored at the hospital so I felt safe. I remember receiving a blessing and praying A LOT before having this overwhelming feeling of peace come over me that it would be hard but Zaida would be fine. After many tears were shed, I told the doctor I was ready to have my baby.
Nobody can tell you what to do. I learned that after begging the nurses and doctors to take the decision off my hands. What I am trying to tell you is, you are her mom, you know more than anyone what the best treatment is for her at this time. Go with your gut and whatever happens, your instinct I am sure is the holy ghost reaching out to you and comforting you. Life sucks sometimes, I always ask myself what if I decided to wait longer...how far could i have gotten in my pregnancy? I can't live like that. I have to look at my tiny little girl and count my blessings over and over. So, my advice to you is, fast and ask for a blessing. Go with whatever decision keeps coming into your mind and i am sure you will feel at peace.
I am sorry again you have to make this decision. It is one no mother should have to make. I pray you will feel comforted and at peace.
One thing I do when i am faced with a tough medical decision is ask the Dr what they would do if it was their child. then I do whatever they say they would do, because I feel they make the most smart, most informed decision so i should do it too.
Who was your neurosurgeon before? I thought you had Dr. Moss all along. Anyway, I'm glad you like him. I've heard great things about him.
I'm so sorry that you have to make this decision. I'll keep you guys in my prayers. The best advice I can give is stuff you already know...fast, pray, and go to the temple.
Aubry, we had Dr. Manwaring before. Dr. Moss moved to Cardon's so we will be there now.
Prayer. Temple attendance. Priesthood blessings. Counsel with your bishop. Ask another doctor. And then go with your gut.
You'll make the right decision; it's in your soul and in your blood.
I don't envy you. Not one. little. bit. Good luck with the process, and keep us all posted.
Post a Comment