I am finally posting pictures of Grandpa Lee's funeral.
The whole funeral was amazing. The kids did great singing, the speakers all told some great memories of Grandpa and most of all, we got to spend time with family we don't get to see too often. And as we Greene's do, we found a way to still have a fun family shin-dig after the service.
I knew that Grandpa's time was close to an end...we even joked that our lives would be easier if he would just up and bite the dust already. But I wasn't ready for him to be gone. I wanted to go see him the night before he passed away when he was in the hospital but it was late and we needed to get the kids home. My mom went to see him though and I called while she was there and she told him that I loved him and was thinking about him. I was planning to go up the next time we were in the area. So when the phone rang the next morning at 7:45, I wasn't ready to hear that he had passed away. I didn't get to see him and tell him goodbye. My mom said that I wouldn't have wanted to see him, that he didn't look good. I got to see him 8 days earlier though- he held Burke and Carly- he complained about wanting to smoke, I nagged him- he said he was an angel...the personification of purity...I told him to shut up and keep eating- he said "Lace, don't get old...getting old is the pits!" I'm glad that is my last memory of him. He wasn't his normal self but there was still a little bit of that ornery and feisty old man in there. I smile when I think of Grandpa Lee. I miss him. I wish I would have gone to see him more when I was on that side of town. I regret not going to see him. I regret that Burke didn't get to be with him more. But he was with him 2 times, that's pretty good, right?
I learned not to take things for granted from this. I learned to cherish the times you have with the people that you love because as expected as his passing was, it was unexpected. Grandpa is no longer in pain. He is happy. I think he is looking down on all his "pooh's" (that's what he called the grandchildren) and watching to make sure we behave but not so much that we don't get to have fun. That was his motto, if you are being good then you aren't having any fun!

Grandchildren and Great-Grandchildren singing.








No comments:
Post a Comment