Saturday, October 17, 2009

Break...who needs a break?!

Its been a craphole of a few weeks for us. September 27th we got concerned about Burke's belly. It had been distended the previous couple weeks and was only getting worse so we decided that we needed to take him to the ER to have it checked out. We went to Del Webb (note to self...never take the kids there again!) and they did an ultrasound and thought they saw a problem with his pylorus. Because they don't specialize in Ped's they ambulanced us to St. Joe's. But before doing that they tried to place an IV and blew 2 veins then placed one that was so crappy it couldn't even be used and had to be removed at St. Joe's. Burke went through various other tests at St. Joe's and a diagnosis couldn't be found. The GI Dr. over there sent us home after 5 days knowing that he was still having the distension and was still quite uncomfortable. I, needless to say was PISSED! We came home on a friday and that we would wait it out and go to PCH if it got worse. IT GOT WORSE. The following friday we decided that it was time to take him to PCH. It had been 4 days since he pooped and his stomach was starting to get hard. We were admitted to PCH where we spent a full week. Burke had a barium enema which showed a moderate narrowing of his lower bowels which seems to be the reason he was getting backed up. They thought he had Hirschsprung's Disease and had a biopsy and tested negative for it. I was instructed to stop eating/drinking dairy products because he had some allergy cells in his biopsy and he could have a protein/dairy allergy. He was put on a medication called "Lactulose" to help him not get constipated again and has been eating Alimentum while I go off dairy. Things seem to be better so hopefully this is the fix.

Carly had her 18 month check-up and looks great! 10th%-weight, 75th%-height, 80th%-head. She has been teething and molars are such a joy! She has had 3 ear infections since Burke was born, the 3rd being diagnosed today. As if I hadn't spent enough time at PCH, after only being released yesterday I returned this morning with Carly. The past 3 days she has been running a fever which I attributed to teething. Around 4am she woke up with a temp over 103 and was throwing up so we decided it was best to take her in just incase it was a shunt infection or she was getting sick. I brought her there and got right in. She was swabbed for the flu which was positive for Influenza A and has another ear infection. She had a CT and shunt x-ray series which all were negative for any shunt malfunction. Now hopefully we can keep the rest of us from getting this nasty flu. So far I've been thrown up on twice today and coughed on numerous times. Needless to say, Thad has been placed on Burke duty so I can keep the Carly germs away from him. Carly got some cute boots and I think every little girl has to have a picture in boots naked.

We did Race for the Cure again which was a blast! We missed you Grandmom and Katie! Maybe next year I'll be in shape to run the 5K? I'm blogged out so this is all the run down of it we get.

1 comment:

Katie BQ said...

Aw, thanks for missing me! :)

You guys really do need a break from all this sickness/hospital crap. Ugh!