Kind of a pointless post really but I thought that I would just express my frusterations of living with a diabetic, especially one that doesn't take care of himself much. Last night we went to dinner with my parents and Thad had a really bad low. It hit all of a sudden, without any warning. I'm usually pretty good at forseeing and knowing how to deal with his lows but this one caught me completely off guard and was different than normal. He started to have a breakdown and would freak out if I didn't have my arms around him. As you can imagine, this made helping him very difficult. Without explaining the whole thing, after 30 minutes, 3 glasses of orange juice, 12 packets of sugar and a lot of coaxing to drink the orange juice he finally came around and back to normal. He gets very unreasonable and irrational when he is extremely low so its a miracle I could even get him to take a drink. I was actually about 2 minutes from calling an ambulance to give him a sugar IV and I think the only reason he took a drink is because I told him if the ambulance came I wouldn't be able to be right next to him. So its all over and after resting and a good nights sleep you would never know anything happend.
I have to stay on my toes with him. I never know if he is going to have a low and if I'm going to be there to take care of him. I hate going out of town or having him go out of town because I am scared that he may not wake up in the morning. I wish that he would take better care of himself. I am learning how to deal with lows and how to treat them best. I know when he is low in the middle of the night, normally because his body is shaking the bed. But what happens when I'm sleep deprived? I just worry about him and want him to be healthy so that I don't have to worry about his diabetes on a daily basis. Enough of my ranting. I just want a healthy husband that I know is going to be around for forever!
8 comments:
I do not envy you--I only witnessed a few of Thad's lows but from those I know how very scary they are. We all want Thad a round for a good long time. I have a very good friend here whose brother is also a type 1 diabetic and has developed a nutrition based treatment that has helped him immensely and I totally trust this friend not to exaggerate or lie about it...I emailed Thad about it once but who knows if he even looked at the link...you can check it out--it's www.dsolve.com
Hugs! That's really so scary!
Thought I should mention, my friend's brother isn't selling a product on his site either...it's entirely about sharing information that can help diabetics lead a healthy, "normal" lifestyle.
I'll have to check it out, thanks!
Oh Thad, Thad, Thad.
This is why I was so excited the day he married you. It meant he wasn't just my responsibility anymore.
You're doing a good job, though!
I remember a few of those situations...not fun! Good luck with your delivery in a couple of weeks. That is so exciting. I can't wait to see pictures!!
My Dad is diabetic, but different as it is type 2, but still doesn't take care of himself. It is SO frustrating to see him eat things he shouldn't! It is hard and I am sure Thad is very grateful for you. That all would be very scary for me! Growing up I had low blood sugar and would have "lows" where I would cry and be unreasonable. He's lucky to have you!
I don't think you can call a legitimate concern "ranting." You have every right to want a healthy husband. That would scare me so much to be in a situation like that! I don't think I would know what to do! I guess you learn along the way how to deal with it. I really admire you for taking such good care of your family.
Ummm I remember a couple of those situations from college. I remember almost calling the ambulance once too. Take his snickers candybar and wap him of the head with it!
Post a Comment